Marketing Strategy

Friday, May 15, 2009

What's A Good "Buyer's Agent"?

As an MLS professional, I have the privilege of working with many brokers and agents in the Silicon Valley. The real estate professional's ideal situation is one in which they have a listing (that is, they represent the seller) and they can also represent a buyer who wants that same house. This "double-ending" practice can cause potential conflicts of interest. While CAR has forms which agents must complete to disclose this type of transaction, a buyer may not understand what this means.

With that caveat, as a buyer I'd like to list a few things that I would request of an agent representing me.

First and foremost, this is not a "deal". I don't buy houses for a living so I'm probably not experienced in this type of transaction. This is one of the most important personal and financial decisions I can make. If you're more interested in "closing escrow" than in representing me, then you should take the opportunity to bring in partner who can assist me.

As a buyer's agent I'm looking for you to oversee:
• create a comparative market analysis for my potential new home
• explain to me the market conditions and the neighborhood conditions
• all deadlines in the contract
• all inspections, including home and pest inspections
• the appraisals (and be able to discuss with me the reasons for the valuation)

Additionally, I want you to help me with:
• identifying my needs in a new home. (In fact, if you have a method for doing that, you'd get bonus points!)
• scheduling property showings
• get me the latest new listings to me electronically: via email, text message and cell phone.
• getting additional listing information from listing agents (e.g., seller's disclosures)

You should also:
• help me find the right mortgage company
• sit with me and the mortgage broker to explain the mortgage commitments
• prepare a Comparative Market Analysis (CMA)
• explain to me in plain terms, what a CMA is, why you selected the properties in the report and how this affects the offer WE will make)
• review home inspection reports with me
• assisting me in presenting repair lists for sellers
• negotiate for me on all of these issues.

I know this is a lot of activity, but I'm paying for this experience.

For agents out there, it will be interesting to hear your opinion. For consumers, I'd definitely like your opinion.
---- I'm passionate about our world. Enter the Conversation! ----

No comments:

Post a Comment