Marketing Strategy

Tuesday, January 6, 2009

The "Global Village"

I was a college philosophy student and was required to read the work of great thinkers. And while I haven't been consistent in my application of the best principles of these great thinkers, as I have gained life experience I have been able to grow and change.

One of the great thinkers that I remember was Marshall McLuhan. Do you remember him? Many years ago, he coined the term, "the global village". Here's what he said:



What does this have to do with anything, you might ask. Well, for me his message describes not only how our media has changed our lives, but also points out that we need to change how we think about communicating and interacting with each other, our community, our country and the world.

For business, it means that we need to have sensitivity to others that has not been required before. In a "non-connected" world, people had to seek out business and experts. A professional could "hang their shingle" and local people would pass the word around and get him/her business.

But we do live in a connected world. And guess what? We must actively seek out our clients. with a high degree of professionalism and transparency. Oh yeah, with the tools that a connected world has provided.
---- I'm passionate about our world. Enter the Conversation! ----

No comments:

Post a Comment